2011/04/05

[Graduate School] Stolz Rotation


I just completed a rotation in the Stolz Lab.  I did some really neat things there.  I'm not going to blog about techniques or results, but there were a few more general things that I took from this experience that I think are worth sharing. 

Being a leader in your field isn't all that fun.  Solutions that you need are not available for purchase and must be made from scratch each time.  Equipment isn't designed for what you need, so jerry-rigging or modifying mal-adapted machines is often necessary.  Every stride you make is questioned by all those lagging behind you. 

Working in an over-crowded lab cramps my style.  I need my own space- even if it is small- to organize my things and create a lean space with all my post-its and colored pens. I like to think through my experiments at my desk and in my notebook before moving forward. I like to read and study with my notes and primary literature and texts and laptop all accessible. For some this isn't important, but for me it turns out it is.

Life is amazing.  Bacteria can use arsenic instead of phosphorus to build it's DNA.  Others can use arsenic as a terminal electron source in photosynthesis (instead of water).  These little bugs support the Ian Malcom principle of "Life finds a way," demonstrating the versatility of living systems. They live in crazy environments.

Finally, I must bring up that Dr. Stolz is pretty amazing.  He had a Nature publication before finishing graduate school, he has had one since, and he has had two recent Science papers.  He's had projects backed by all the usual suspects, but additionally by groups like the Department of Energy and NASA.  He taught me at the bench, was always happy to make time for my questions, and was flexible with direction when students interest or needs led to a new path.

No comments:

Post a Comment