2012/03/31

[Whimsey] The Severus Snape and Tyrion Lannister Problem



Alan Rickman is a spectacular actor, a master at his craft, and an incredibly hansom man.


Severus Snape is a wonderful character.  My original copy of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone has little hearts around his name throughout the book.  Part of Professor Snape's character is tied to the fact that he is a particular unattractive.


I understand that in films, attractive people are usually cast for all roles, and I have nothing but respect and adoration for Alan Rickman, but a little part of me grieves for a little part of Severus Snape that just cannot be when played by Rickman. Of course he does play the part brilliantly, doesn't he?


Peter Dinklage is also a magnificent actor.  Though not all of his roles have been worth an artist like him, he's really done something great with the serious parts he has played.  He is also a fantastically attractive man.

Tyrion Lannister is my favorite character in the Song of Ice and Fire books.  Most of the series' characters are multidimensional, but Tyrion is a level beyond.  He sees the world through a very relatable lens, and if I was reading the series from a physical book like I did Harry Potter, Tyrion's name would have little hearts around it as well.  A part of what makes this wonderful character is the fact, of course, that he is extremely unattractive (and soon to become even moreso).

Peter Dinkage plays Tyrion amazingly.  No surprise.  The problem here is the same, though.  This is a very hot man playing a character who's personality and experience are partially derived from walking through the world as an unsightly person.

This is not the end of the world, grant you, but I have a love-hate relationship with these casting jobs of actors I love who don't really fit physically in these roles that I love.

Note: All the images on this post are hyper-linked to their sources.

1 comment:

  1. I find it interesting that you put Tyrion and Snape on the same wall, the two charactars which have made the deepest impression on me in the last years. Why do I not fall for the common heroe or beauty, instead for these two rather dark and ambivalent outsiders? Is it that they are complexer personalities adn therefore more interesting and attracting? (In real life I do never, never fall for "bad guys"!) They are troubled yet have a deeper kind of humanity. Or is it just the exquisite joyce of actors?

    ReplyDelete