2011/05/03

[Handiness and Craftiness] Flip-Flop Storage Solution

Figure 1. Flip-Flop Containment System
I keep little things that might be classified as "trash".  I'm not a hoarder- all these little bits currently fit into one box.  I just see the potential of this "junk".  Case in point:  Two years ago I made cut-offs out of some old jeans.  I didn't like them much as jeans- they fit weird in the knees, but they are lovely cut-offs now.  I kept the legs around, because they were in decent shape, and you never know when you might need 2 tubes of denim, am I right?  Well, this past weekend, I was organizing our shoes, and I just had no good place for my flip-flops.  They are numerous and smallish, so they end up underneath our other shoes.

Enter, 2 denim tubes.  I sliced open what is now the top, stapled (because this is hidden in the closet and I really don't have the time to sew by hand) the sides, and nailed the top corners up. (Figure 1) Sliding the shoes in and out was difficult because of the extra slack in the back, so I pulled the material past itself in the middle, and stapled for a tightness (Figure 2), then I put a nail in two places, dividing where I would put my shoes.

I think this could also work for other do-dads like books or toys, though I'd certainly take the time to sew instead of staple with little ones around and be sure to pound the nails all the way in (my door wasn't a fan).
Figure 2. Material Tightening Staples

No comments:

Post a Comment