2011/02/23

[Elements of Success] Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr.


I recently watched a 30 minute key-note address at my school and 15 minute Q&A session given by the attorney General, Eric Holder.  It was the 100th anniversary of the university's law school, so what he said was pretty much canned and typical pre-packaged inspiration, as expected.  Content, however, was not why I attended.  Yes, I picked up a couple in interesting tid-bits, but generally, I just wanted to take any body language or tonal notes that I could.  I am not intuitively charismatic, so I study this in successful people.

I'm still working on putting such data together in a smooth compilation, but here are my field notes:
  1. Most of the time, his hands were gripping the sides of the podium.  
  2. He had very good posture, leaning back only when saying something folksy or humorous and leaning very slightly forward only when punctuating a point (usually accompanied by a hand gesture).
  3. Warm fuzzy thoughts and all-inclusive statements were punctuated by symmetrical motions, palms mostly up, fingers open, as if he were holding a large beach ball.
  4. He pointed at the audience once to make a strong point that should affect each of the law students present as well as require them to act.
  5. On these stresses, he tilted his head up slightly and thrusted his chin slightly forward.
  6. To imply cold-hard-fact, he motioned with one hand (karate-chop style) down to the podium.
  7. To imply fact, again, he did #5 at the beginning of the statement, and tilted his head down at the end.  His tone followed this early-up, late-down pattern.
  8. He had very few weight shifts (one foot to the other) 
  9. When saying "Blah blah can and will blah blah," he made a gesture, using his right hand, fingertips together, down to the podium.  This is maybe gentler than a pointer finger, but still has emphasis.  I think for a fact, he would go for #6, but this was warmer and used to imply something more personal.
  10. He used parallel gestures for the general and rhetorical.
  11. He used asymmetric gestures for the specifics and answers.
  12. He used a lot of humor
  13. He held perfectly still while the dean spoke and asked him questions.
Example of #9

Tidbits:
  • He spends 60-70% of his time on national security issues.
  • He usually works in the office 8:30am to 7pm, then takes some work home. (This is less than I expected)
  • He does not have as much time as he'd like for his family, because though the regular hours aren't that horrible, he has to travel about half of the week.





Quotes that caught my attention:

"The welfare of the people is the highest law."

"I wish you luck.  I will be counting on you.  Your nation will be counting on you."

In reference to the law students present: "I can't help but feel optimistic."

    No comments:

    Post a Comment