2011/03/03

[Gardening] In Which I Decide to Grow My Own Herbs

So yesterday I was supposed to organize the kitchen, but that was boring, so I moved on to plan B.   I  needed some plates or cork to set under a few new plants that I had purchased, and new pots for 6 herb plants that I had picked up at Giant Eagle the day before and were now looking sad.  Off to Home Depot I went, as has become the custom this week.  (Monday and Tuesday were full of painting all the trim in the world.  I mean apartment.)

Giant Eagle Herbs

While walking through the veggie section, I noticed the nice aroma of the basil and mint.  I thought I would like this fragrance in my house, so I picked up 2 mint, 2 parsley, and 2 basil plants for about $2.50 each on a whim.  I general buy fresh leaves of these plants, slice them up, and freeze them for my future use, so I don't have to go with the dried stuff, but now I can have fresh all the time!

Parsley
Mint   
Basil
While at Home Depot, I picked up some oregano, another type of mint, rosemary, sage, and thyme seeds.  I also got a Burpee starter kit since it has been a while since I've started seeds and this had everything needed plus instructions.
I added water to the expanding soil pellets, a little extra topsoil, and the seeds.
The starter cups sit in a plate with water.
A piece of plastic on top creates a make-shift greenhouse.

1 comment:

  1. I bought the giant eagle parsley plant as well. I'll have to admit, it's looking a little sad.

    ReplyDelete