2011/03/27

[Music] Classical

 
In general, I am a big fan of meaty music.  In the world of classical music, this holds true.  I am especially partial to piano-heavy pieces since most of my classical exposure was through songs that I or my friends played as youngsters. This is how I developed my appreciation for the nuance and technique.  (Shout out to Ms. Heckert!)

Rachmaninoff
I love Rachmaninoff because it always seems to be telling a story.  Lots of music just drifts, but everything he writes is deliberate and free of filler.  I first heard the Rach 3 on Shine, a movie about an Australian pianist.

Burgmuller
Master B has some bridging, unlike the R man, but he manages to keep you in the music, give you something to chew on, and never requires the complexity and layers of Rachmaninoff.

Gershwin 
G is very USA.  The music is free, playful, casual, and friendly.
(I don't think this actually counts as classical, since it is so modern, but this is my blog and I'll Gershwin if I want to.)

Chopin
C-pin has some good and some bad.  It varies quite a bit, but I like it as long as I stay away from the flowers and bunnies stuff.

Mozart/Hayden/Salieri
These guys are also hit-or-miss, but they certainly have some enjoyable stuff to me.  This may be due, though, to the fact that my mum always played Mozart to me to make me smarter. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment